The Foundation's principal areas of interest are:
- Global initiatives designed to improve the quality of life and medical care of patients
- Basic scientific research in areas of future therapeutic interest to Astellas
- Civic and community organizations that focus on local needs, located in areas where Astellas, Inc. has offices (Northbrook, Illinois; Santa Monica, California; Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, etc.)
To be eligible for funding by the Foundation, organizations must fall into at least one of the principal areas of interest. Other mandatory inclusion criteria include:
- The organization is a public Section 501(c)(3) charity based in the United States that has a current Section 501(c)(3) determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service.
- The mission statement of the organization is aligned with the request.
- The organization has a history of achievement and effective management.
- The mission and primary activities of the organization further at least one of the Foundation's principal areas of interest.
The Foundation does not fund:
- Organizations outside of the United States
- Continuing medical education (CME) grants
- Educational activities for healthcare professionals or patients that relate to an Astellas Therapeutic Area of Interest*
- Professional medical associations or societies
- Academic medical centers
- Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) organizations that are public charities by virtue of being described in Section 509(a)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) organizations that are private foundations
- Medical fellowships or residencies
- Political organizations established under Internal Revenue Code Section 527
- Lobbying activities
- Contributions to political candidates, political parties, or political action committees (PACs)
- Religious groups for religious purposes
- Applied research in any area
- Basic research in Astellas therapeutic areas of interest
- General operating expenses
- Proposals that pose a potential conflict of interest with the commercial goals of Astellas, including activities that could influence the sale, distribution or development of an Astellas product
The Foundation will give strong preference to programs that are located in an area where Astellas has employees and/or facilities. Organizations that accept funding from the Foundation agree to share financial and program audit reports with the Foundation upon request.
Organizations that receive funding from the Foundation are not guaranteed any future funding in subsequent years.
*Astellas Therapeutic Areas of Interest include cardiovascular disease, dermatology, immunology (transplantation), infectious disease (anti-infectives), urology, oncology, etc.